1. How many years does the education in the Doctoral School last?


Education in the Doctoral School lasts 8 semesters and is taught in English.


  1. Where can I find information about recruitment to the Doctoral School and where can I download the required forms?


Information about the recruitment rules can be found on the Doctoral School website.

The forms are available in the Documents to downloads tab - RECRUITMENT


  1. Where can I get information about the proposed research topics for my dissertation?


Research topics proposed for recruitment for the following academic year of each discipline are suspended on the Doctoral School website in May each year and are available until the end of recruitment.

The research topics pursued are copyrighted.


  1. Does the Doctoral School help find a supervisor?


A candidate for the Doctoral School is recruited by a proposed research topic from a potential supervisor. In May of each year, a list of research topics, potential promoters with their email addresses are made available. The candidate contacts the potential promoter and establishes a description of the proposed individual research plan that is required during recruitment.


  1. Can the Doctoral School provide sets of interview questions?


We do not receive sets of interview questions.
The scope of the interview for the Doctoral School is described in recruitment rules.


  1. Can education in the Doctoral School be completed online?


Education in the Doctoral School is conducted on a full-time basis in the buildings of PUT.


  1. Do classes in the Doctoral School meet daily, how many hours are included in the program?


Classes for PhD students in the Doctoral School are scheduled on Fridays.

The total number of classes is defined in Education Program. Implementation of the Program ensures that a student achieves learning outcomes at level 8 of the Polish Qualification Framework and earns the required ECTS credits.

The training in the Doctoral School is conducted in English and includes obligatory courses, elective lectures, research workshop, doctoral seminars and professional practice (in the form of conducting or participating in conducting classes with students) and an internship in a selected scientific/research/industrial unit.


  1. Does the PhD student also teach classes with students?


Yes. As part of the practice, the PhD student teaches students or participates in the teaching of classes. The amount of practice - up to 60 hours/academic year.


  1. Is it necessary to complete an internship at an industrial plant as part of my education in the Doctoral School?


A PhD student should complete a two-month internship at a selected scientific, research or industrial unit. The internship is obligatory and should be included in the Individual Education Program, which the student prepares during the first 12 months of education.


  1. Can a PhD student be employed at the University?


A PhD student cannot be employed as an academic teacher or a scientific employee. The restriction shall not apply to the employment of a PhD student:

  • for the implementation of the research project referred to in article 119(2) points 2 and 3;
  • after a positive mid-term evaluation. With the employment exceeding half of the full working time, the payment shall be 40% of the monthly scholarship, as referred to in paragraph 4 point 2;
  • who is not entitled to a scholarship”.


  1. Does employment outside the University prevent a PhD student from being awarded a scholarship?


See answer in question 10.


  1. If a PhD student drops out/is dropped from the list of PhD students in the Doctoral School, will he/she be required to return the scholarship?


If a PhD student loses their status as a PhD student, they also lose their right to receive a stipend. To date, there are no regulations that specify the need to return the stipend paid to the doctoral student.


  1. If a PhD student does not write his/her doctoral dissertation in four years for some reason, can he/she request an extension and will he/she receive a stipend for that period?


The Director, in justified situations, especially in case of:

  1. occurrence of unpredictable contingencies,
  2. temporary inability to receive education due to illness,
  3. possession of a certificate of a degree of disability,
  4. need for personal care of a sick family member,
  5. need to provide personal care of a child up to four years old or a child with a confirmed disability,
  6. need for long-term scientific research,

may, at the request of the doctoral student supported by the supervisor or supervisors, extend the deadline for submitting a doctoral dissertation, stated in the individual research plan, by a maximum total of 2 years”.

An application for extension should be submitted to the Director of Doctoral School no later than one month before the date of the planned submission of the doctoral dissertation as specified in the individual research plan.
The total duration of the PhD scholarship at the Doctoral School cannot exceed 4 years.


  1. Is it possible to complete the education program in the Doctoral School in a shorter period of time and will the scholarship then be paid over four years?


If a PhD student submits his/her doctoral dissertation earlier than the completion date provided for in the individual education program, he/she shall receive a PhD scholarship until the date of the completion date, but for no longer than 6 months.


  1. What is a mid-term assessment and who conducts it?


Mid-term assessment is carried out in the middle of the education period by Commissions for mid-term assessment, within individual disciplines. It is carried out on the basis of an evaluation of the degree of realization of the individual research plan and the individual educational program, the presentation of scientific achievements related to the realization of the doctoral dissertation, and the scientific discussion on the realization of research intentions.

„The respective Commission composed of 3 persons, including at least 1 person holding the postdoctoral degree or the title of professor possessing research achievements in the discipline in which a doctoral dissertation is being prepared, employed outside the University and 2 persons holding the postdoctoral degree or the title of professor and representing a specific discipline in which a doctoral dissertation is being prepared”.

The Commission shall not include the supervisor and auxiliary supervisor.
A representative of PhD students, appointed by the PhD Students Self Government, may participate in the work of the Commission without the right to vote.


  1. Education in the Doctoral School is conducted in English. Does the dissertation also need to be translated into English and does the dissertation defense take place in that language?


The paper may be written in Polish, English or any other language, but:
“The doctoral dissertation shall include an abstract in English, whereas a doctoral dissertation prepared in a foreign language – an abstract in Polish. In the case when the dissertation is not in written form, its description in Polish and English shall be attached”.


  1. Is it possible to change the dissertation topic from the current one?


If it is necessary to change the individual research plan (IRP), including changing the dissertation topic, then in accordance with the Regulations of the Doctoral School: “In justified cases, after mid-term assessment, one-time modification of individual research plan or individual education program is possible”.


  1. At the recruitment stage for the Doctoral School, the choice of research topic was made. Can the research topic be refined during the preparation of the individual research plan, or should it remain as it is in the recruitment announcement?


The research topic is not the topic of the doctoral dissertation. The PhD student, in consultation with the supervisor, will formulate the dissertation topic to be pursued within the research topic selected during recruitment. Then, he/she shall describe in detail the plan and schedule for the completion of the dissertation at IRP, taking into account the description of the proposed individual research plan submitted during recruitment.


  1. Is it possible to be educated at more than one doctoral school at the same time?


You can only be a PhD student at one doctoral school at a time.
After graduating from a doctoral school, you can apply to the next doctoral school; however, if you received a doctoral scholarship for 4 years at the previous doctoral school, you are no longer eligible to receive a doctoral scholarship at the next doctoral school.


  1. Where can I find information about the possible subjects within the series of lectures and the teachers of these subjects?


The website of the USOSweb system contains a list of subjects taught in a given academic year. For each course it is possible to download the course card, which contains all information about the course and the teacher.


  1. Should a PhD student report a change in his/her personal, contact and banking information to the Doctoral School?


The PhD student should immediately inform the administration of the Doctoral School and the Unit where the student prepares his/her doctoral dissertation about the change of his/her name, address of residence and correspondence address, taking up employment as an academic teacher or researcher, as well as about the change of other data required by the Units and which may influence the suspension or withdrawal of the scholarship payment. Also, about the change of the bank account number to which the scholarship is paid and a new residence card, a new passport.


  1. What is the amount of the PhD student scholarship?


The amount of the monthly doctoral scholarship is equal to at least:

  • 37% of the professor’s salary – up to the month in which the mid-term assessment was conducted;
  • 57% of the professor’s salary – after the month in which the mid-term assessment was conducted;

The amount of the scholarship may depend on the PhD student's achievements.


  1. Czy stypendium jest wolne od podatku?


The scholarship paid to a PhD student at the Doctoral School is tax-free, but is subject to Social Security contributions (ZUS).


  1. Is the scholarship subject to social security contributions (ZUS)?


The stipend is subject to Social Security contributions (ZUS). The basis for the assessment of contributions is the current amount of the PhD scholarship. The scholarship is reduced by the cost of disability, pension and accident insurance premiums, respectively. The contribution for sickness insurance is financed entirely by the doctoral student, if he/she decides to pay it.


  1. How will health insurance change when a PhD student turns 26 and is no longer insured by his or her parents or otherwise eligible?


If a PhD student turns 26 and loses the right to be insured as a member of the family of an insured person or loses the right to be insured on other grounds, he/she is subject to health insurance by virtue of being a PhD student. In that case, the contribution is paid by the university. The contribution does not reduce the amount of the doctoral scholarship.
Any changes in the title of the insurance should be notified in writing to the Department of Employee Affairs of Poznan University of Technology (Dział Spraw Pracowniczych Politechniki Poznańskiej) within 5 days after the changes occur.


  1. Can a PhD student apply for a dormitory room?


A PhD student may apply for:

  • accommodation in the student house of the University or board in the student canteen of the University,
  • accommodation for a spouse or child in a student dormitory

- according to the rules and procedures specified in the regulations of Poznan University of Technology.


  1. Can a PhD student apply for a student loan?


A PhD student may apply for a student loan, except that:

  • a PhD student under the age of 35 may receive the loan;
  • the loan is granted for the period of education in doctoral school only once, not longer than for 4 years.